Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jeffrey Lewis &The Jitters : Fondation Cartier 19 April 2008

Jeffrey was playing as part of the Patti Smith exhibition here in Paris which also features Tom Verlaine who's playing next week. This was my first time seeing Jeffrey live and I was very curious to see whether his lyrics would work in front of a Paris crowd. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic concert. There were a couple of songs at the start where I was contemplating how bad this review was going to be. He's not an artist that is to everybody's tastes and I think it took a while for me to get used to it. It was unlike any other concert I'd ever been to but once I 'got it', it was absolutely amazing.

His band were fantastic and some of the Crass songs they played (off Jeffrey's last album) were excellent. Jeffrey used his comic books for a couple of songs with a screen projecting the images of stories such as Creeping Brain As you can see from the video(although it's difficult to see the images, was much better with the projector that they had last night) it's not for everybody but I think it's fantastic. They played more traditional punk rock songs as well which I thought were highlights. Other notable songs was a hilarious history of The Fall as well as the unbelievable Complete History of Punk Rock
(fantastic as this video is, it really is on another level with a band).
One of the most original and enjoyable concerts I've been to in a long time. Here's a few mp3s so check them out. If you like the sound I would highly recommend seeing them live.

Objectified


Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror


Anxiety Attack

No comments: