Sunday, September 28, 2008

Teddy Thompson - Whelans 27 September 2008


I've always liked Teddy Thompson, enjoyed his albums and was interested to see him live, if not amazingly excited about it. But he really impressed me, putting on a fantastic show for 90mins or so. His songs can range from folk to country to pop to rock and his voice adapts fantastically to each genre. His voice is his greatest asset but he's written some great songs and had a good band behind him.

Despite a fair few technical difficulties, Teddy kept his good humour all the way through and was all round very entertaining. Highlights would have to include I Should Get Up, In My Arms (which he played twice for some reason lost on me) and a stunning version of Leonard Cohen's 'Tonight Will Be Fine'. In my opinion, his songs can sometimes sound a bit flat on record but live they really come alive. All round a great set from a very talented songwriter.

No comments: